- The opening ceremony of the Chinese National Football (South) Training Base was held at Mission Hills International Football Training Base in Haikou. The base carries the mission of China’s football reform and is committed to modernise Chinese football through innovation. It also aims to help promote Hainan as a national sports tourism demonstration zone and to aid the development of the Hainan Free Trade Port.
- Mission Hills joined hands with Australia’s Village Roadshow to open Wet’n’Wild Haikou, a first for China. The water park features more than 30 slides and water experiences, further cementing Mission Hills Haikou’s position as an international tourism resort. In the same year, the NBA Exhibit and Store, as well as the Barça Experience opened at Mission Hills Centreville.
- Mission Hills announced ground-breaking partnerships with FC Barcelona and the NBA to bring the world’s most famous football club and the world’s largest professional basketball league to its Haikou resort, comprising sports academy and interactive experiences, as it seeks to groom the next generation of football and basketball talents in China
- The Group partnered with Bromsgrove School, a top British independent school with 540 years of history, to offer an innovative and holistic bilingual education at Bromsgrove School • Mission Hills. In the same year, the Group also established a satellite campus of the Hainan Overseas Chinese Middle School with the 80-year-old institution to offer international education resources for the International Tourism Island. The fourth World Celebrity Pro-Am was also resoundingly held.
- MH Mall in Shenzhen officially opened, bringing to life the new concept of a one-stop shopping, entertainment, leisure and business hub.
- Mission Hills • H. Brothers • Feng Xiaogang Movie Town officially opened. In the same year, the third World Celebrity Pro-Am was held.
- The Match at Mission Hills was held in Haikou, with Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy featured in a brilliant one-on-one showdown.
- The inaugural World Ladies Championship and second World Celebrity Pro-Am were successfully held. Mission Hills Dongguan also hosted the 2012 WGC-HSBC Champions. In the same year, Mission Hills also announced the launch of new projects including Mission Hills Centreville in Shenzhen and the Mission Hills • H. Brothers • Feng Xiaogang Movie Town in Haikou.
- Mission Hills was accredited as a 5A National Tourist Attraction by the China National Tourism Administration.
- Mission Hills expanded across the Qiongzhou Strait to establish Mission Hills Haikou, an international resort that opened in March. In the same year, the resort hosted the Haikou Golf and Tourism Forum, as well as the inaugural Mission Hills World Celebrity Pro-Am.
- Golf legend Jack Nicklaus visited Mission Hills and jointly established the Mission Hills Jack Nicklaus Junior Championship.
- With 12 courses featuring a total of 216 holes, Mission Hills beat its own world record and was again recognised by the Guinness World Records as the World’s Largest Golf Club. The year also marked the start of Mission Hills’ consecutive hosting the World Cup of Golf.
- Mission Hills held the inaugural Goodwill Trophy and Business Forum.
- With 10 courses and 180 holes, Mission Hills was accredited by the Guinness World Records as the World’s Largest Golf Club.
- The inaugural Phoenix Dynasty Cup, competed by teams representing Asia and Japan, was held. Co-organised by Mission Hills, the Asian Tour and Japan Golf Tour, the tournament advocated the introduction of the “Ryder Cup” format in Asia. The second edition was held in 2005.
- Mission Hills announced the construction of five new tournament courses, setting on its path to surpass Pinehurst in becoming the World’s Largest Golf Club.
- Mission Hills completed its fifth 18-hole course, making it the largest club in Asia. In the same year, the Mission Hills Tiger Woods China Challenge marked the Laureus Award-winning sportsman’s first trip to China. The event put Shenzhen on the world stage and stimulated tremendous growth in the country’s golfing population in the ensuing years. China also succeeded in its bid for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, with Dr. David Chu being the only invited consultant on the Olympic bid committee.
- The China Open snooker tournament took centrestage at Mission Hills.
- The Centennial Davis Cup, celebrating the iconic event’s 100th anniversary, was held at the Country Club. In the same year, Mission Hills became China’s first golf club to be ISO 14001 certified in environmental management.
- Mission Hills Country Club hosted the 1998 ITF Women’s Circuit, featuring female professional tennis players from the region.
- The opening of Mission Hills Country Club marked the start of the Group’s development in diversified leisure offerings. The Club comprised the Asia’s Largest Tennis Center and a host of recreational facilities.
- Dr. David Chu, founder of Mission Hills Group, invited cycling federations from America and Europe to establish the inaugural Tour of China. The second edition was held in 1996. In the same year, Mission Hills made history hosting the 41st World Cup of Golf, marking China’s first foray into world-class golf tournaments.
- Mission Hills’ first 18-hole course officially opened, designed by the 20th century greatest golfer – Mr. Jack Nicklaus.
- Mission Hills began construction of its integrated golf resort on barren wastelands situated at the juncture of Shenzhen and Dongguan.